StillPoint Schoolhouse Store

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Marriage of Earth and Sea

In between bursts of chilly spring rain and hints of summer heat there have been moments of sublime warmth where I am moved to marry two of my favorite foods together. Sweet, tart apples and salty sea rich dulse. You may not think this is a marriage made in heaven, but we are not in heaven, but here with our feet planted, for some, firmly on the ground awaiting the next apple to fall from the trees.

Apples are a food gifted to us by the gods. They help to protect brain cells from free radical damage, while working to lower your bad cholesterol to tolerable levels. They are sited to help prevent a whole slew of cancers, plus they are sweet and delicious. Eat them fresh or cooked in dessert recipes the simple apple will serve you well.

On the other end of the spectrum you find the sea vegetable known as Dulse. High in potassium, iron, B6 and B12, dulse can be used in soups, fried to make chips or sprinkled on grains and salads in the form of dulse flakes. It is mild in taste and low in sodium. I love the Maine Coast Sea Vegetable Dulse that comes right out of the waters off the coast of Maine. This salad is a great way to introduce yourself to this nutritious vegetable. I hope you enjoy.

Waldorf Salad w/Dulse
Serves 6

1 head red leaf lettuce, chopped or broken into pieces
1/3 cup Dulse flakes
2 apples, cored and cut into chunks
3 grated carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup red grapes, halved
1/4 cup minced red onion
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1/3 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)

Dressing:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon honey or agave syrup
½ teaspoon Ume Plum vinegar or sea salt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon garlic powder

1. In a large salad bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients.
2. Add the salad ingredients and toss with the dressing.
3. Arrange on individual plates and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I ran across your page through googling about gallstones, to your cleanse. This last weekend I did a cleanse from another page and was surprised at the results! It really works and was an eye opening experience for me. At 25 yrs, it was scary to see what was released!

    Discovering your page afterwards, I am excited to see what you have here! I have been rather healthy, or so I thought, but realize now how I need to change my diet. If I were younger I would go back to school for naturopathic medicine. I have studied raw diets, but I like what I see here on your site!

    Thank you for what you are doing here, and please do not stop making posts!

    From your new follower, from Rockford, MI, thank you!

    ReplyDelete