StillPoint Schoolhouse Store

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Black Bean Chili


There I was wondering what to prepare for a quick lunch with my two assistants when my mind went right to creating a quick black bean chili. Perfect for a cool autumn day and all I needed were a few ingredients already in my cabinet plus some fresh greens to tie the dish together.

I always keep a few cans of beans and diced tomatoes on hand, along with a few containers of the Imagine brand organic soups. Lucky me, I had everything I needed and within a few minutes the chili was assembled and heating on the stove.

It goes without saying to feel free to adapt the level of chili heat to suit your palate. Also, if you have a bunch of cilantro on hand chop it up and throw on top for added flavor. Oh yes, and just a reminder to use organic ingredients for all your recipes. Your efforts not only support your health, but the health of our beautiful planet as well. Thanks.

Black Bean Chili
Serves 6

16 ounces Imagine Cuban Black Bean Bisque
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups kale, washed and chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
1/2 cup spicy salsa
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

1. In a large saucepan combine the bisque, beans, tomatoes, kale, salt pepper and 1/4 cup of salsa.
2. Bring to a simmer and cook until the kale is tender about 7 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and let sit another 5 minutes covered.
4. Serve in individual bowls and top with extra salsa and chopped cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment